Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Caking Out



Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook


In my last post I mentioned that I'd been taking some cake decorating classes at Michael's. Well, one of the reasons that I enrolled in these classes was because I had recently purchased Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, and tried a bunch of her recipes and they were all amazing and I somehow got the notion that I was going to become the Asian Martha Stewart! However, even though the handbook has all these delicious recipes, it didn't really have any good decorating tips, so all my cupcakes, banana bread, cakes, etc were tasty but plain looking. Anyway, last week I finished my 8 week class. I spent $44 for classes, $200 on equipment, bought 16 bars of Crisco and 16 pounds of powdered sugar for frosting, and baked a few cakes...and voila...my end result...2 real cakes and a bunch of shit I don't really need. Check it out:

My tool box

Frosting for flowers

"Colorflow" pieces

"Royal Icing" Flowers

Basketweave Easter type cake

photo.php.jpg

English rose cake aka "Old Lady Cake" 

Anyway, now that i've done this, I cannot even smell frosting/icing without wanting to yack....so needless to say it'll be a while before I make a cake again!  

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is a pretty nice cake for your first time! I am SO jealous of your awesome tool kit! All of my decorating supplies are in zip lock bags! I think it's time I upgraded.

Hopefully we will both inspire each other to blog more. :-)